Tim Hortons says it will no longer sponsor the Hockey Canada men’s program for the 2022-23 season, amid the scandal in the organization.
This will affect all men’s competitions, including the men’s world junior championships in Halifax and Moncton.
The move is the latest reaction to how the hockey organization has responded to accusations it mishandled allegations of gang rapes involving its players.
The allegation is the subject of three investigations being conducted by London police, the National Hockey League and Hockey Canada.
In a statement, the company — which first suspended its sponsorship in June — said it has “communicated to Hockey Canada on many occasions that the organization needs to take strong and definitive action” in order to regain the faith and trust of Canadians.
The statement adds: “We’re deeply disappointed in the lack of progress that Hockey Canada has made to date. We officially informed Hockey Canada this week that we have pulled out of all men’s hockey programming for the 2022-23 season including the men’s world junior championships.
Tim Hortons says it will continue funding women’s, para and youth hockey programs.
Several Hockey Canada sponsors — including Tim Hortons, Scotiabank, TELUS, Canadian Tire and Imperial Oil — previously withdrew their support for the 2022 men’s world junior tournament in August amid demands for systemic change.
Following Tim Hortons’s move, Hockey Canada said in a statement that it “continues to have discussions with its corporate partners on the organization’s … steps being taken to foster a safe and positive environment for all participants on and off the ice.”
Hockey Canada has confirmed it paid out $8.9 million in settlements to 21 complainants with sexual misconduct claims against its players since 1989.
It continues to vigorously defend its leadership amid criticism over the handling of alleged sexual assaults and the way money was paid out in lawsuits.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says it “boggles the mind that Hockey Canada is continuing to dig in its heels” as more Canadians lose faith in the national sports body.
“It’s no surprise that provincial organizations are questioning whether or not they want to continue supporting an organization that doesn’t understand how serious a situation it has contributed to causing,” Trudeau said Wednesday, when asked about Hockey Quebec’s decision.